Beyond the LAB! pt 1/2
When I was applying to graduate school, I was under the impression that after obtaining my PhD there were two options: start a postdoctoral position in the hopes of one day securing a faculty spot at a research institution or become a scientist with the FDA or other research organizations like the NIH. Scientists are searching for career opportunities beyond the bench. Not only are scientists interested in pursuing non-research-based careers, but the contrast between the number of graduate students and postdocs, and the limited availability of tenure-track faculty positions means searching for “alternative” career options. From R&D to clinical development to medical affairs, there is a plethora of options to choose from. The key is how to get there and what can you do to prepare? This webinar will consist of two series where panelists will talk about their education, career path and experiences.
Topics for Discussion:
- What has been your career path?
- Talk a bit about your day to day activities?
- What interested you in your career?
- How did you get your job? What has helped you get to where you are?
- What are common misconceptions people have about people in your position?
- From training to post-doctorate to faculty position; that’s the traditional route. Do you remember a specific experience that led you to a non-traditional path outside of academia?
- Skills, Experiences, Values:
- What skills set did you develop during your educational path that were instrumental in your current position?
- How can we advance or succeed in your industry?
- As scientists, we often start in the lab by wanting to make a difference or develop a cure. In your current role, how are you making a difference?
Questions for Discussion:
- What advice would you have for others who want to set off in a similar direction?
- What is one piece of practical advice you would give to current graduate students? What can we do while still in school
- What is the best resource for people who want to dive in deeper?
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Apr 18, 2018 2:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Topic: NRMN Career Development Webinar- “Industry Series-Pt1”
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.