NRMN’s Research Mentor Training workshops are designed to help research mentors maximize the effectiveness of their mentoring relationships.
These workshops are intended for the mentors of biomedical researchers across career stages, including undergraduates, graduate students, postdocs, and junior faculty.
Our workshops range from a few hours to a full 8-hour training.
For mentors of undergraduates, we offer mentor training based on Entering Mentoring. For mentors of graduate students, postdocs, and junior faculty, we offer the following options: Mentor Training for Biomedical Researchers, Mentor Training for Clinical & Behavioral Researchers, Mentor Training for Clinical & Translational Researchers, and Mentor Training for Community Engaged Researchers.
Our evidence-based training includes the following themes:
- Aligning Expectations
- Addressing Equity and Inclusion
- Articulating Your Mentoring Philosophy and Plan
- Assessing Understanding
- Cultivating Ethical Behavior
- Culturally Aware Mentoring
- Enhancing Work-Life Integration
- Fostering Independence
- Maintaining Effective Communication
- Promoting Mentee Research Self-Efficacy
- Promoting Professional Development
- Teaching Disciplinary Knowledge
NRMN offers Research Mentor Training workshops in the following formats: in-person, self-paced online, and synchronous online. Upcoming trainings include:
- Ongoing – Optimizing the Practice of Mentoring (online, self-paced)
To inquire about upcoming Research Mentor Training workshops, or to host a workshop at your campus, contact the Mentor Training Core at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about the phases of mentoring relationships and explore resources.
NRMN is pleased to recognize your efforts and skill as a mentor through certification as an NRMN Mentor, NRMN Certified Mentor, or NRMN Master Mentor.
Click on the link below to learn more and apply for one of these three NRMN mentor designations.