- This event has passed.
Culturally Aware Mentor Training @ University of Wisconsin Madison
December 14 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm EST
One event on December 14, 2017 at 11:00am
Location: University of Wisconsin Madison
Dates: 12/5/17 and 12/14/17
Time: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
This intensive training is designed for mentors of undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, and junior faculty who have already completed some form of mentor training. This is a two-part training. Part 1 is on 12/5/17 and Part 2 is on 12/14/17.
Prior to attending the workshop, participants complete a 1-hour online module and prepare a “culture box” which contains at least two objects that represent important parts of their life story, especially as related to their social identities. This awareness-raising helps mentors to identify their personal assumptions, biases, and privileges that may operate in their mentoring relationships. Through group discussion, case studies, and role play, mentors have the opportunity to learn and practice culturally aware mentoring skills.
During this workshop, mentors will learn how to:
- Identify how their cultural beliefs, worldviews, and identities influence their mentoring practices.
- Recognize how cultural diversity can impact their research mentoring relationships.
- Acknowledge the impact of conscious and unconscious assumptions, privilege, stereotype threat, and biases in the mentor-mentee relationship.
- Use culturally responsive mentoring principles to guide them in talking about cultural diversity matters with their mentees.
- Apply evidence-based strategies to reduce and counteract the impact of biases, stereotype threat, and privilege to foster trusting, culturally responsive mentoring relationships.
- Previous experience with research mentor training
- Willingness to complete pre-session work, including: pre-session survey, 1-hour online module, and preparing a culture box (two objects that represent important parts of their life story, especially as related to their social identities)
This event is closed to the public. If you are interested in hosting a mentor training, please fill out this interest form: https://goo.gl/forms/s2RNgMzYkUdmSalq1