- This event has passed.
Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers
February 26, 2016 @ 10:00 am - February 28, 2016 @ 12:30 pm$345 – $495
This conference was established to facilitate dissemination and exchange of hypothesis-based research on interventions and initiatives that broaden participation in science and engineering research careers. The conference is designed to create a dialogue among behavioral/social science and education researchers, evaluators, and faculty in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields who participate in intervention programs. Graduate students in these fields are strongly encouraged to attend. Workshops, sessions, and posters will communicate effective strategies from successful STEM intervention programs, present results from empirical research studies, and synthesize the translation of research findings into practice on STEM learning, undergraduate research, graduate education, and student retention.
- A limited number of plenary sessions addressing broad and large-scale contextual issues.
- Symposia and workshops organized by tracks of interest.
- Workshops lasting from 1.5 to 3 hours and providing hands-on instructional interactive sessions, either in one session or split into two over the course of the conference.
- Symposia will feature 2-3 person panel presentations. These symposia may feature one speaker for an hour or several presenters of research on a particular topic/segment of the education pathway.
- A new category of symposium is the Deeper Dive. This is a 10-minute presentation followed by 5 minutes of Q&A. A maximum of three are presented. Then each speaker moves to a roundtable discussion with interested audience members for another 40+ minutes of intense interaction.